10 ways to foster your childs creativity
From a very early age it’s important to encourage your child to be creative. It’s not so much about discovering the next Matisses and Dalis, but about expression, fun and development. You might learn a thing or two too.
1.Painting – It’s going to get Messy! Children love nothing more than a selection of brightly coloured paints, a large sheet of blank paper and a selection of brushes or sponges. Put plenty of newspaper down, cover your little one in an old t-shirt or apron, and watch your child’s imagine let loose. For a bit of variety, swap traditional brushes for homemade potato prints, or let them experiment with fingers and toes
2.Drawing – this allows your child to hone their fine motor skills. Using felt tips, crayons, coloured pencils or chalk, encourage them to draw the world around them, offering encouragement when they get stuck. Sit down together and spend a happy half-hour drawing a woodland forest full of animals, a snowy mountaintop or a family portrait.
3. Model making – at this age it’s less about the Lego and more about the play dough and plasticine. Children just love to feel the texture of this malleable material and squidge it into different shapes. Why not ask your little one to fashion you some fish fingers, chips and peas for a tea party, or create some cute farm animals to play with?
4. Nature – go for a walk with your young artist and see what inspirational treats you can find along the way for a future piece of artwork. Leaves of different shapes and colours work very well with a dab of glue, likewise pebbles can be painted or used in a counting game.
5. Sand – whether you’re at the beach or in a sandpit, there’s nothing quite like the feel of sand running through tiny fingers and toes. With a bucket, spade and some basic plastic moulds, there’s no limit to the castles and other imaginary kingdoms you can build.
6. Water – in a similar way to sand, water can also stimulate children’s imagination. Make bath times fun by providing some basic bath toys – even an empty shampoo bottle will do! Children love to pour water from one container into another, and this is the place for it! Also investigate bath crayons and blowing bubbles – it’s just as much fun in the bathroom as outside in the garden.
7. Stories – make storytelling a part of your day, every day. There’s no better way to send your child happily into dreamland than with a cuddle from a parent and a bedtime story. It doesn’t always have to come from a book – try telling each other stories too. There’s no limit to where your imagination might take you.
8. Music – let your child experience and celebrate sound, rhythm and melody by playing music often. Invest in some inexpensive child-friendly instruments, or simply bang along on an upside-down mixing bowl. Make up your own songs and why not dance while you’re at it?
9. Trips – family visits to museums, concerts and shows will educate your child about other people’s imaginations and how they express their ideas. It’s a great way to encourage creativity by showing how society values art, music and literature.
10. Role-play – let your imagination run riot and build a fort, play shops or take a rocket ship to the moon. Pretending games are a vital way to get your child thinking creatively, as well as challenge her to blend her ideas constructively with those of her playmates. Have fun
Learning to Learn Every Day All of our centres are currently hosting parent developmental evenings. The parent evenings are an excellent opportunity for parents to discuss these records with their child’s key carers, and to look at their child’s holistic development linked to the Aistear curriculum themes : · Exploring and Thinking · Well Being · […]
Tuesday, December 5th, 2017Read More
Halloween is the time when scary skeletons, spooky ghosts and wicked witches roam the world. All of the Giraffe centres enjoyed the build up to Halloween last week, and the children and staff certainly got into the spirit of the festivities! The children were delighted to dress up for the whole day for their Halloween parties. For […]
Monday, November 6th, 2017Read More
Congratulations to the 2017 Preschool Graduates! Here are some photos that capture the excitement of the most recent celebrations.
Thursday, July 13th, 2017Read More
Learning through play
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017Read More
Peter’s story-time tradition started after our Leopardstown centre held their annual Grandparents Day in September & invited the children’s grannies and granddads to join them for games and activities.
Wednesday, May 24th, 2017Read More
The children were all very egg-cited when a special Easter visitor hopped into our creches last week!
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017Read More
What is Heuristic Play?
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016Read More
Giraffe Training Academy – Wobbler Staff Workshop Giraffe Childcare’s Training Academy hosted a training day for 75 practitioners on Saturday with Lillian and Carol from Early Childhood Ireland, delivering a session on Facilitating Play Based Learning. There were also a range of skills demonstrations modules delivered by some of Giraffe’s senior crèche managers to promote best practice in […]
Thursday, October 20th, 2016Read More
Summer is festival time in Giraffe! The children look forward to the Summer Festivals every year, and every Giraffe Centre hosts different events through the summer months. This year, we saw Teddy Bear Picnics, Jungle Days, Magic Shows & Magicians, Beach days, Family BBQs and much much more! We have as many fun outdoor activities […]
Monday, August 29th, 2016Read More
Starting school is an exciting time for you and your child
Monday, June 29th, 2015Read More
Preparing your child for a new arrival
Wednesday, May 13th, 2015Read More
Young children just cannot get enough of Nursery Rhymes
Wednesday, May 13th, 2015Read More
If you’re a parent, then you know it’s a constant challenge to balance keeping the kids both healthy and entertained at the same time! That’s why we at Giraffe Childcare have come up with a clever, informative and adorable infographic, titled The A-Z of Getting Fit with Your Children. From Football to Yoga, Playgrounds to […]
Wednesday, February 11th, 2015Read More
Today we are smiling from ear to ear after receiving this very special letter to our Pre-school Liffey Valley teachers… so nice to hear, thank you Ewan x Thanks to Giraffe Childcare. My name is Ewan and I am nearly seven. I went to Giraffe Childcare. My favourite class was the Pre-school class. I loved […]