Action Plan Update.
Sunday, July 27th, 2014
1. Appointed Independent Childcare expert Mr John Byrne, M.A.B.A (Hon) currently working through all our centres.
2. Prior to recent events Giraffe had just appointed Mr Colm Dempsey, National Director of the National Child Protection Centre ( NCPTC) in relation to Child Safeguarding and Managing Children’s Behaviour. He commenced his engagement on the 17th June. Colm has held seven full day workshops for Giraffe Staff in these subjects since his appointment. His brief is as follows:
A. Conduct a full Audit Review of the existing Child Protection Policy including procedures & practices and child protection training of Giraffe Childcare.
B. Implementation of the recommendations of the Audit Review.
C. Programme in Child Protection through safeguard training.
3. As promised we now have begun to install CCTV Systems throughout our centres.
4. Review of the implementation of policies and procedures with a refocus on the protocol relating to the confidential reporting by staff of any poor practice witnessed.
5. We have appointed an external consultant, Noel Flood of Safe Hands, to review all elements of Risk Assessment, Health and Safety, Environmental Health and HACCP to ensure that the policies and procedures pertaining to these areas already in place are fit for purpose and to recommend and advise on any legislative updates or safety measures in the facilities.
6. The centre allergy list will be dated weekly with immediate effect.
7. The layout of the children’s daily diaries will be reviewed to ensure they best meet the informational needs of parents. Staff have been asked to make suggestion on this.
8. We will increase communication with each parent to address individual family needs over the coming weeks as this action plan evolves.
9. HSE reports and responses will be available too parents in your centre manager’s office and you can view these documents with the manager at any time. All centres should have these available on demand or at least on request within a few days.
10. Staff Garda Vetting and qualification status on your carer is available to be inspected in your centre manager’s office. The delay in Garda vetting process is a national problem which has been widely reported. We adhere to HSE protocol on this matter. The protocol requires that a non processed applicant is not allowed to be left unsupervised with children.
We sincerely hope that this action plan will help underpin your trust and confidence in Giraffe and we will continue to keep you informed on progress.