Health and Safety Officer
Giraffe Childcare are delighted to announce we are adding an exciting new role to our team. The purpose of this role is to provide advice and guidance and support to all 21 Giraffe Centres in all areas relating to Health, Safety and Hygiene practices.
- To implement, monitor and audit the effectiveness of the Health and Safety Management System and Food Safety Management System across all centres
- To monitor and audit contractors who maintain the Giraffe estate
- To support centres to investigate critical and serious incidents and ensure they are reported in line with Company procedures
- To help write, implement and review suitable and sufficient risk assessments to ensure legal requirements are met
- To keep up to date with legal changes, new legislation and guidance related to health, safety, hygiene and data protection
If successful you will be responsible for:
- Be the primary contact for safety, health, food and hygiene in Giraffe and lead the management of these areas across all of the centres and our activities.
- To provide advice and support to all Giraffe centres on all aspects relating to the company’s health & safety system, under the guidance and instruction of the Director of Childcare and Head of Compliance.
- To investigate any queries or complaints raised concerning health & safety issues as instructed by the Director of Childcare or Head of Compliance.
- To undertake and support other staff undertaking any investigations into any critical or incidents that occur when instructed, reporting findings to the Director of Childcare and Head of Compliance. To ensure that the Health and Safety Authority (HAS) are notified of any reportable incidents as required in the Reporting of Accidents and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2016. To ensure adequate actions are taken following any incidents
- To help write and implement suitable and sufficient risk assessments across all Giraffe centres and activities.
- To assist and support staff review these documents periodically or following any accidents, incidents, near misses or changes to the environment or equipment. To monitor and review the effectiveness of the controls in place to ensure the risk is being minimised and managed.
- To undertake food, safety, health and data protection audits in all Giraffe centres and covering all activities (including contractor management, transport and maintenance) to assess the effectiveness of implementation of Company Policies, Procedures and Management Systems.
- Checking monthly incident reports to ensure appropriate corrective action has been identified, implemented and that all issues raised are addressed. Where necessary, instructions for amendments should be notified to individual centre manager or health and safety representatives. Follow-up visits should ensure that all action has been completed.
- Monitoring Environmental Health visits and reports and reporting any non-compliances to the Head of Compliance and ensuring required actions are addressed and followed up as necessary.
- Provide advice, support and help to Centre Managers, Area Managers, Director of Childcare or Maintenance teams in relation to safety, heath, data protection or food safety.
- Liaise regularly with the Head of Compliance, UK Regional Advisor and Head of Catering to ensure policies and procedures in Ireland align with those in place in the UK. Attend Compliance meetings as required.
- Liaise with Regulators under guidance from the Head of Compliance as necessary.
- To keep up to date with legal changes, new legislation and guidance related to health, safety, hygiene and data protection.
- To undertake training and continued professional development as necessary to remain competent and knowledgeable in managing risk relevant to childcare sector.
- Assisting with new developments, acquisitions and projects relating to safety, health, hygiene and catering as and when required.
- Deliver training to new staff, newly promoted or appointed Health & Safety representatives, Managers or chefs on the Company’s Health & Safety policies, procedures and requirements.