Pancakes Your Children Will Love!
Thursday, February 4th, 2016
Pancake Tuesday is otherwise known as Shrove Tuesday, and is celebrated by many Christians around the world. Shove Tuesday is traditionally the day to use up all the rich ingredients – flour, milk and eggs before the fasting period of lent starts. Pancake Tuesday falls on Tuesday February 9th this year. Will you be making pancakes for or with your little ones? Here is a simple recipe you can make with the children and they are guaranteed to love!
This makes 8 – 10 large pancakes.
240g plain flour
1 pint (500ml) milk
- Sieve the flour and whisk in the eggs and milk until smooth. The children can help with this stage, sieving and mixing.
3. Grease the frying pan with sunflower oil.
4. Ensure pan is very hot. Pour in small amounts of the mixture, enough to thinly cover the base of the pan.
5. As the batter cooks you will see it start to come away from the edge. At this point toss it or turn it over to cook the other side.
6. Serve with your favourite topping. Here’s some of our favourites:
- fresh berries
- sugar and lemon
- maple syrup
- chocolate spread
Leave some toppings on the table to let the children choose, this encourages independence and they love to pick and top them themselves!